Kendall was a Cave Spring High School graduate who was beloved by the community. “Fight Like a Knight” was a slogan seen across the valley with students and adults cheering her on as she fought her battle with cancer. The support she received was a testament to her personality and character. It was nothing short of impressive and inspiring to watch her face adversity with determination, grace, courage, humility, and a sense of humor. She was always positive; her smile lit up a room and left an indelible mark on those who knew her both well and casually.
The Kendall Bayne Foundation is dedicated to honoring the life of this remarkable young woman, and to encourage others to “Live a Kendall Life” — one that has kindness and compassion for others, exudes grace and courage, and projects a positive attitude in spite of adversity.
In memory of Kendall Bayne, the Foundation is granting its third scholarship to a high school senior in the Roanoke Valley. Please see eligibility requirements and application below:
Turn in all required application materials to your guidance office. All application materials must be postmarked by Friday, March 3, 2023 and mailed to the address below.
Kendall Bayne Foundation
P.O. Box 8303
Roanoke, VA 24014
A. Eligibility Overview
- Current high school seniors in the Roanoke Valley, including Roanoke City, County and Salem schools
- Carrying a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Accepted to and enrolling full-time in an accredited U.S. undergraduate program for Fall 2023
B. Financial Consideration
- The scholarship will be in the form of a grant.
- Payment of the grant shall be made in the form of a check co-payable to recipient and approved school. In the event a student withdraws during the term, an effort will be made to regain any unused portion.
- Notification of acceptance from the school the recipient will be attending will be required to process the check. Requests for the funds must be made within one year of scholarship notification date.
- Recipient may accept other scholarships or financial aid. Questions concerning this will be decided by the scholarship committee.
- When deciding on the recipient of the scholarship, the scholarship committee will not take financial Aid into consideration.
C. Procedure for Selecting Recipients
- Notice of availability of and regulations governing this scholarship will be sent to the guidance counselor of all high schools in the Roanoke Valley by January 1, 2023.
- Screening will be done as much as possible from application forms, but the committee has the privilege of requesting a personal interview.
- Guidance counselors are requested to screen applicants for GPA minimum and completion of all required application materials; including a list of school, church and/or community service related experience, the essay, and a letter of recommendation.
2021 Primary Award Recipient: Olivia Johnson
Our 2021 scholarship was awarded to Olivia Johnson. Olivia will be attending Dartmouth College.
2021 Secondary Award Recipient: Nathan Snow
The Scholarship Committee was impressed with the application submitted by Nathan Snow and decided to award him a $1,000 scholarship. Nathan will be attending the University of Virginia.
2020 Award Recipient: Camryn Dermott
Our 2020 scholarship was awarded to Camryn Dermott. Camryn is currently a freshman at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia. She studies Communication Sciences & Disorders.
2019 Award Recipient: Reid Burton
We granted our third Kendall Bayne Foundation College Scholarship of $3,750 to Reid Burton. Reid will be attending Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia in fall 2019 and plans to study English and Creative Writing.
2017 Award Recipient: Jensen Blevins
Ms. Blevins will be attending Virginia Tech.
Foundation President, Maverick Helmer, presents the inaugural Kendall Bayne College Scholarship to Jensen Blevins