In memory of Kendall Bayne, the Foundation is granting its third scholarship to a high school senior in the Roanoke Valley. The scholarship is available to current high school seniors who meet the eligibility requirements below.
If you are interested, please download the eligibility requirements and application documents below.
Due Date: All application materials must be postmarked by Monday, March 15, 2022 and mailed to:
Kendall Bayne Foundation
P.O. Box 8303
Roanoke, VA 24014
Please contact us with any questions you have about the Kendall Bayne Foundation Scholarship.
A. Eligibility Overview
- Applicant must be a candidate for graduation from high school in the jurisdiction of the Roanoke Valley, including Roanoke City, County and Salem.
- Applicant must have been accepted by a school approved by the scholarship committee.
- Applicant must have a 3.0 average and complete the necessary forms furnished by the scholarship committee. Forms will be completed on each applicant by a guidance counselor and/or principal.
- The scholarship may be used for expenses in any accredited two or four-year college or university, business school, trade or technical school approved by the scholarship committee.
- Applicant must exhibit leadership, citizenship and character.
B. Financial Consideration
- The scholarship will be in the form of a grant.
- Payment of the grant shall be made in the form of a check co-payable to recipient and approved school. In the event a student withdraws during the term, an effort will be made to regain any unused portion.
- Notification of acceptance from the school the recipient will be attending will be required to process the check. Requests for the funds must be made within one year of scholarship notification date.
- Recipient may accept other scholarships or financial aid. Questions concerning this will be decided by the scholarship committee.
- When deciding on the recipient of the scholarship, the scholarship committee will not take financial Aid into consideration.
C. Procedure for Selecting Recipients
- Notice of availability of and regulations governing this scholarship will be sent to the guidance counselor of all high schools in the Roanoke Valley by January 1, 2022.
- Applications shall be returned to the guidance departments no later than March 1, 2022 (earlier as deemed necessary by the Guidance Department).
- Screening will be done as much as possible from application forms, but the committee has the privilege of requesting a personal interview.
- Guidance counselors are requested to screen applicants for GPA minimum and completion of all required application materials; including a list of school, church and/or community service related experience, the essay, and a letter of recommendation.
2021 Primary Award Recipient: Olivia Johnson
Our 2021 scholarship was awarded to Olivia Johnson. Olivia will be attending Dartmouth College.
2021 Secondary Award Recipient: Nathan Snow
The Scholarship Committee was impressed with the application submitted by Nathan Snow and decided to award him a $1,000 scholarship. Nathan will be attending the University of Virginia.
2020 Award Recipient: Camryn Dermott
Our 2020 scholarship was awarded to Camryn Dermott. Camryn is currently a freshman at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia. She studies Communication Sciences & Disorders.
2019 Award Recipient: Reid Burton
We granted our third Kendall Bayne Foundation College Scholarship of $3,750 to Reid Burton. Reid will be attending Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia in fall 2019 and plans to study English and Creative Writing.
2017 Award Recipient: Jensen Blevins
Ms. Blevins will be attending Virginia Tech.
Foundation President, Maverick Helmer, presents the inaugural Kendall Bayne College Scholarship to Jensen Blevins